The Los Rios colleges offer online classes that can supplement in-person classes or be used to pursue a 100% online degree. Online classes are a great way to take advantage of having the full course inventory of four outstanding colleges at your fingertips!
Online Class Inventory
Online Classes at Los Rios
We are adding more and more online classes every semester! Check our class schedules to see what online classes we're offering in the current and upcoming semesters.
California Virtual Campus
The California Virtual Campus Online Education Initiative (CVC-OEI) is a collaborative effort among California's community colleges to provide students with better access to online courses. The goal is to allow students to search for online classes across California and apply/enroll directly through the website.
Get Ready for Online Learning
Canvas Online Learning System
Learn how to access and use Canvas, our online learning management system.
Learn how to access all the tech resources you need, including apps for your classes, free and loaner computers, and internet and WiFi. You can also reset your password, set up security questions, or contact Tech Support if you have additional questions.
Definitions for Commonly Used Terms in Online Education
Here are explanations of words used in online education.
- Asynchronous – Online, Any Time
- Asynchronous online classes are available any time, 24/7 via Canvas. Regular and substantive interactions with the instructor and other students will take place through online discussions, group assignments, email, and other means. Asynchronous classes are not self-paced. Contact the instructor for details regarding due dates for class assignments and activities.
- Synchronous – Online, Real-Time
- Synchronous online classes have scheduled, live meetings to provide simultaneous interaction with the instructor and other students in real time.
- Fully Online
- Fully online classes are taught 100% online using web-based tools. Orientations, class meetings, assignments, lectures, and discussions all take place online.
- Partially Online
- Partially online classes are mostly taught online using web-based tools. The professor may choose to have an in-person orientation or other in-person meetings or tests.
- E-learning (short for electronic learning) covers a wide set of applications and processes, including web-based learning, computer-based learning, virtual classrooms, and digital collaboration. Content is delivered via the internet, audio, video, broadcast, interactive TV, and more.
- Web-enhanced classes are taught in person but are supplemented with web-based activities, such as online projects, discussions, or tests. Only American River College offers this type of distance education class.
Online Education FAQ
Enrollment in online courses works the same as enrollment for traditional in-person courses. See how to enroll in classes for more information.
All online courses are offered via Canvas, the cloud-based learning management system utilized by the Los Rios Community College District. Students enrolled in any of these courses can access coursework anywhere where they have access to a computer and the internet.
No, students who are not physically located in California may not enroll in online courses offered by the Los Rios colleges. Federal regulation requires institutions that offer distance education opportunities to receive authorization from the state in which it "operates" or offers distance education opportunities. Los Rios Community College District does not have the required permission to offer online education outside of California.
We recommend that out-of-state students seeking online community college courses look for opportunities offered by institutions in their state.
All online courses are held to the same academic standards as traditional courses.
Faculty who teach online, partially online, and some in-person courses often use web-based learning materials, resources, assignments – and even some quizzes and tests – and regularly contact students through email or other electronic means.
Most communication in an online class consists of written messages between you and the instructor and discussions among class participants. If you have difficulty with an assignment or have questions, then you must be willing to "speak up" and inform the instructor. Good typing skills also are a plus.