Whether they are supplementing on-campus classes or pursuing an online degree, more and more Los Rios students are taking online courses each semester. Online courses are a great way to take advantage of one of Los Rios' greatest assets – the full course inventory of four outstanding colleges, all at your fingertips.
100% Online Degrees
100% Online Administration of Justice Degree
Los Rios Colleges Online's 100% online associate degree in Administration of Justice prepares graduates for careers in law enforcement, courts, correctional services, and government service.
100% Online Business Administration Degree
Los Rios Colleges Online's 100% online associate degree in Business Administration prepares graduates for careers in fields such as business operations, marketing, and public relations.
100% Online Communication Studies Degree
Los Rios Colleges Online's 100% online associate degree in Communication Studies meets the general requirements for transfer to the California State University, which means students with this degree will receive priority admission with junior status to CSU system.
100% Online Health Information Technology Degree
Los Rios Colleges Online's 100% online associate degree in Health Information Technology trains health information professionals in the knowledge and skills to process, analyze, disseminate, and maintain health care information.
Online Class Inventory
Online Classes at Los Rios
We are adding more and more online classes every semester! Check our class schedules to see what online classes we're offering in the current and upcoming semesters.
California Virtual Campus
The California Virtual Campus Online Education Initiative (CVC-OEI) is a collaborative effort among California's community colleges to provide students with better access to online courses. The goal is to allow students to search for online classes across California and apply/enroll directly through the website.
Get Ready for Online Learning
Canvas Online Learning System
Learn how to access and use Canvas, our online learning management system.
Learn how to access all the tech resources you need, including apps for your classes, free and loaner computers, and internet and WiFi. You can also reset your password, set up security questions, or contact Tech Support if you have additional questions.
Definitions for Commonly Used Terms in Online Education
Here are explanations of words used in online education.
- Asynchronous – Online, Any Time
- Asynchronous online classes are available any time, 24/7 via Canvas. Interactions with the instructor and other students may take place through discussion boards, group assignments, email, and other means.
- Synchronous – Online, Real-Time
- Synchronous online classes have scheduled, live meetings to provide simultaneous interaction with the instructor and other students in real time.
- Fully Online
- Fully online classes are taught 100% online using web-based tools. Orientations, class meetings, assignments, lectures, and discussions all take place online.
- Partially Online
- Partially online classes are mostly taught online using web-based tools. The professor may choose to have an in-person orientation or other in-person meetings or tests.
- E-learning (short for electronic learning) covers a wide set of applications and processes, including web-based learning, computer-based learning, virtual classrooms, and digital collaboration. Content is delivered via the internet, audio, video, broadcast, interactive TV, and more.
- Web-enhanced classes are taught in person but are supplemented with web-based activities, such as online projects, discussions, or tests. Only American River College offers this type of distance education class.
Online Education FAQ
Enrollment in online courses works the same as enrollment for traditional in-person courses. See how to enroll in classes for more information.
Los Rios Colleges Online offers 100% online programs offered across the four Los Rios colleges – American River College, Cosumnes River College, Folsom Lake College, and Sacramento City College. Students in Los Rios Colleges Online cohorts have access to all the general education, elective, and major courses they need to complete a degree or certificate program entirely online.
Visit Los Rios Colleges Online to learn more and apply!
All online courses are offered via Canvas, the cloud-based learning management system utilized by the Los Rios Community College District. Students enrolled in any of these courses can access coursework anywhere where they have access to a computer and the internet.
No, the Los Rios colleges are not authorized to provide education outside the boundaries of the State of California. If a student physically resides outside of California, then they cannot enroll in distance education classes.
All online courses are held to the same academic standards as traditional courses.
Faculty who teach online, partially online, and some in-person courses often use web-based learning materials, resources, assignments – and even some quizzes and tests – and regularly contact students through email or other electronic means.
Most communication in an online class consists of written messages between you and the instructor and discussions among class participants. If you have difficulty with an assignment or have questions, then you must be willing to "speak up" and inform the instructor. Good typing skills also are a plus.