Skip to Content


Home Admissions Placement

Place into the Right Classes

The purpose of placement/assessment is to help you succeed by placing you in English and math classes that match your skill level.

Use High School Records for Placement

You will be automatically placed into English and math classes if you:

  • Graduated from a US high school within the last ten years
  • Included all of the requested information about your high school records on your college application

You can view your placement results in your eServices account. From your eServices dashboard, click on the Academic Record tile, then Placements.

Submit Your High School Records for Placement

If you graduated from a US high school within the last ten years but you did not report your high school information on your application, then you can submit your unofficial high school transcripts to receive your English and math course placements.

Use College Records for Placement

If you attended another college (outside of Los Rios), then you can provide college transcripts showing that you passed certain classes. Additional forms may be necessary depending on the college and course.

Use Guided Self-Placement

If you did not complete high school or have been out of high school for more than ten years, then you should use the guided self-placement process to figure out what English and math courses to take.

After you complete guided self-placement, your placements will be updated eServices overnight.

Placement for Dual Enrollment Students

As part of the Dual Enrollment (formerly called Advanced Education) approval process, you will submit your current unofficial high school transcript with your Special Admit Form. If you plan to enroll in a math class, English class, or a class which has an English or math prerequisite, then your high school transcript will be routed to the Placement Office in order to receive your English and math placements.

You will be notified by Admissions & Records if your placement is not sufficient for enrollment into the desired class(es).

English as a Second Language (ESL) Assessment

If you are still learning English, then you can go to your college's Assessment Center to take an ESL assessment test, which will place you in an ESL class that matches your skill level.