Skip to Content

What is Advanced Education?

The advanced education program lets high school students take community college classes and earn college credit while still in high school. Advanced education students may take up to two classes during any fall, spring, or summer semester.


Advanced education students must meet the following criteria:

  • You are 16 or 17 years old or you have already completed 10th grade by the first day college classes start
  • You are currently enrolled in high school (public, private, or home school)

Vaccination Requirement

As of October 1, 2021, all Los Rios students who attend in-person classes or access in-person services must meet the COVID-19 vaccination requirement, either by being vaccinated or having an approved religious or medical exemption on file.

How to Apply

First-Time Students: Apply to College

If it is your first time enrolling as an advanced education student, then submit an online college application. Be sure to indicate that you are an advanced education student, not a new student.

Continuing Students: Submit Supplemental Data Form

You are a continuing advanced education student if you have already taken classes through the advanced education program. Continuing advanced education students don't need to re-apply to college, but they do need to complete their supplemental data form in eServices each semester.

Decide What Courses to Take

Excluded Courses

Advanced education students may not take the following courses (with some exceptions):

  • Basic skills classes (any class that is numbered 1 to 99)
  • Classes you have to repeat because you received an unsatisfactory grade at your high school
  • Classes where your ability to relate to mature subject matter or teaching methods negatively affects the ability of other students to learn
  • Classes where your safety or the safety of others would be jeopardized
  • Classes that are offered at your high school during the same semester
  • General education classes, if you are receiving your education in a non-traditional setting (such as private or home school)

Advanced education students may take 100 level math and English writing classes during the summer semester only.

Exceptions to Excluded Courses

You may take college classes that are offered at your high school during the same semester if both of the following are true:

  • You are enrolled in the maximum number of units your high school allows
  • You have satisfactorily completed a high school class and want to take a more rigorous college class in the same discipline

Complete the Advanced Education Application Packet

The following documents constitute your advanced education application packet:

  1. A completed and signed Advanced Education Application.1 This is different than the college application you completed online.
  2. A typed statement that explains why you want to be an advanced education student and how you meet the criteria.
  3. Your current high school transcripts.2
  4. Your high school class schedule for the semester you want to take advanced education classes.
  5. An affidavit, if you go to home school or private school and your school is not listed in the California School Directory.
  6. Unofficial college transcripts (if you've taken college classes in the past) and/or test results from AP, CLEP, or IB, if you wish to enroll in classes that have prerequisite requirements.

1 Your application must be signed by your principal or an authorized signer. If the school official who signs your application is not on our list of designated signers, then they must provide a list of all authorized designees on school letterhead that is signed by the principal. If this is the case, then please include this list with your application.

2 If you are home schooled or enrolled in a high school where transcripts are not available, please provide a record of completed course work, achievement level, and grade level.

Pay Your Fees

The enrollment fee is waived for advanced education students who are California residents. The fee may also be waived for non-residents who have lived in California for more than one year or who have attended elementary or secondary schools in California. However, advanced education students are still responsible for paying additional fees, such as the universal transit pass (UTP) fee and student representation fee.

Student Records

The grades you earn in advanced education classes go on your permanent college transcript. Parents of advanced education students who are under 18 do not have a right of access to their children’s student records.